The 12-times capped Northern Ireland international was the subject of a failed £8m offer from Liverpool earlier this summer. Jurgen Klopp had identified Lewis as the man he wanted to provide competition to Andy Robertson.
However, Norwich were said to be holding out for nearer £20m and rejected Liverpool’s approach. The Reds have since brought in Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiacos.
Liverpool’s failure to agree a deal, however, has opened the door for Newcastle. They are in the markey for a new left-back after Danny Rose returned to Tottenham.
The Athletic is now reporting that Norwich have accepted a bid from Newcastle of £13.75million. That deal will rise ‘significantly’ depending on performance-related add-ons.
The report also claims Norwich will insert a sell-on clause into the contract.
It will be Newcastle’s first signing this summer, following the collapse of their Saudi Arabian-backed takeover.
Everton have completed the signing of Brazil midfielder Allan from Napoli on a three-year contract.
The 29-year-old moves to Goodison Park for an undisclosed fee, but Everton have paid €25m (£22.3m) plus an additional €3m (£2.7m) in incentives, according to Sky in Italy. The move sees Allan, who has been capped nine times by Brazil, reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Everton, having previously worked under the Italian for two seasons while he was in charge of Napoli. The draw of Ancelotti saw Everton beat off competition from Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund to capture Allan, who spent five years in Naples. “It is a real pleasure to sign for Everton. I am immensely happy to be here,” Allan told evertontv. “I hope, like I have done in my entire career, I contribute with my performances together with my teammates and that I put in some great games, great performances and win important things.
“It is a club with a rich history in the Premier League, has real ambition and then there is Professor Ancelotti. He has done everything possible to bring me here.
“It is the size of the club and the name of the coach which means you don’t think twice about coming to Everton.”
Allan started his career at Vasco da Gama in his home country before moving to Serie A with Udinese in 2012.
The 24-year-old spent last season on loan at the Emirates Stadium and after an inconsistent start to life in north London, the midfielder became an integral part of Mikel Arteta’s side during the second half of the campaign.
Ceballos formed an impressive partnership alongside Granit Xhaka in the middle of the park and played a key role in helping Arsenal win their 14th FA Cup with excellent performances against Sheffield United, Man City and Chelsea.
The Spanish international returned to Madrid this summer but with a regular start spot in Zinedine Zidane’s side looking unlikely, Ceballos decided another loan move away from the Bernabeu was the best decision.
He had other offers to remain in La Liga but Arteta convinced Ceballos to return to Arsenal and the midfielder reportedly flew-in to North London on Thursday to undergo his medical and put the finishing touches on his move.
The formalities were swiftly completed and Arsenal confirmed on their official website on Friday night that Ceballos has now completed his move to the Emirates and has rejoined the club on another season-long loan from Madrid
Chelsea have completed the signing of RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner.
The Germany international, 24, has agreed on a five-year deal with the club and becomes Chelsea’s second signing of the summer after winger Hakim Ziyech from Ajax.
The Premier League club agreed to pay €50m (£45m) to trigger the release clause of Werner, who will earn more than €10m (£9m) per season at Chelsea.
Speaking on his move to Chelsea, Werner said: ‘I am delighted to be signing for Chelsea, it is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club. I of course want to thank RB Leipzig, the club and the fans, for four fantastic years. You will forever be in my heart. I look forward to next season with my new team-mates, my new manager and of course the Chelsea fans. Together we have a very successful future ahead of us.’
Chelsea director, Marina Granovskaia added: ‘We are very excited that Timo Werner has chosen to join Chelsea. He is a player who was coveted all over Europe and it is no surprise, he has that rare mix of being young and exciting and yet established and proven. We can’t wait to have Timo on board, but until then we wish him and RB Leipzig all the best for the rest of this season.’
Timo Werner will see out the remainder of the Bundesliga season with RB Leipzig before joining up with his new team-mates in July.
He has so far made a total of 157 appearances for RB Leipzig, scoring 93 goals and making 40 assists for the German club.
West Ham have made a revised offer for Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes, who is also attracting interest from Chelsea.
Benfica are believed to be leaning towards accepting the new deal, with the Portuguese club feeling Fernandes is more likely to maintain his value at West Ham where they feel he will get more first-team opportunities.
Benfica are due to hold a board meeting on Thursday to discuss the final conditions of the proposed deal for the young midfielder.
Michael’s Blog understands Chelsea have also made an offer for Fernandes, which is believed to be an 18-month loan with an obligation to buy for £55m.
Chelsea’s offer for Fernandes is dependent on the Portugal international midfielder playing at least 50 per cent of games during his loan spell at Stamford Bridge.
The midfielder is believed to favour a move to the Premier League and his preferred destination is understood to be London for family reasons.
Fernandes’ release clause is £102m but Benfica have already conceded they will not get close to that figure for a player who is out of favour and is reported to have fallen out with head coach Bruno Lage.
How to follow the January transfer window
Sky Sports will bring you the very latest news from the January transfer market with the return of three shows.
Start your day with Good Morning Transfers at 9am as our team of reporters bring you the latest news and insight. Transfer Talk then follows at midday delivering analysis of the biggest stories. Then join us at 7pm for the definitive round-up of the day’s news with The Transfer Show.
Liverpool Football Club have announced that Jürgen Klopp has agreed to a new contract extension with the club.
The 52-year-old inked a new four-and-a-half-year deal on Friday, December 13, to extend his tenure until 2024.
On signing the new deal, the German football coach said: “For me personally this is a statement of intent, one which is built on my knowledge of what we as a partnership have achieved so far and what is still there for us to achieve.
“When I see the development of the club and the collaborative work that continues to take place, I feel my contribution can only grow.
“People see what happens on the pitch as a measure of our progress and although it is the best measure, it’s not the only measure. I have seen the commitment from ownership through to every aspect and function of the club you can think of.
“When the call came in autumn 2015, I felt we were perfect for each other; if anything, now I feel I underestimated that. It is only with a total belief that the collaboration remains totally complementary on both sides that I am able to make this commitment to 2024.
“If I didn’t I would not be re-signing. This club is in such a good place, I couldn’t contemplate leaving.
“I must also highlight the role of our sporting director, Michael Edwards, in this journey so far. His input and collaboration has been just as important as anyone else’s in getting us into a position to compete for the game’s top titles.
“For anyone in football who aspires to compete in an environment where every element of the organisation is at its very best – from the support of the supporters to the vision of the owners – there can be no better place than this.”
Klopp who was first appointed as Liverpool manager in 2015, got Liverpool to the finals of both the League Cup and Europa League.
In 2016-17, Klopp helped the Reds to qualify for Champions League for the first time since 2014, with a top-four finish. Liverpool also got the finals in Kiev, but suffered a 3-1 loss to Real Madrid.
The following season, Liverpool won their sixth European Cup as the Reds lifted the Champions League after a 2-0 win against Tottenham Hotspur in Madrid.
They also finished second in the Premier League, losing just one match and racking up a point tally of 97 as they finished behind Manchester City.
So far this season, Liverpool are unbeaten and on top of the Premier League after winning 15 matches from their opening 16 matches.
The latter arrives in the Italian capital on a dry loan from Arsenal until the end of the season. Roma will fork over €3 million for the Armenian’s services.
“It’s a great opportunity for me to begin a new chapter, with a great club,” the 30-year-old said. “I know what this club is all about and I am sure we can achieve great things together.”
Kalinic, meanwhile, joins on a season-long loan from Atletico Madrid. The Croatian forward, 31, will cost the Giallorossi an initial €2 million, but his move can be made permanent for an additional €9 million.
Hours prior to announcing both moves, Roma shipped Schick off to RB Leipzig.
“It feels great, because I am joining a big club,” Kalinic said of the move to the Italian capital. “I am proud to become part of this team and this club. Roma has big history and I am very happy to be here.”
Kalinic has made 100 Serie A appearances in his career, having spent time at Fiorentina and AC Milan. A switch to Atleti didn’t prove fruitful, however, as he scored just twice in 17 La Liga appearances last season.
Regardless, Roma sporting director Gianluca Petrachi remains optimistic that the veteran can regain the form that he showed with the Viola, where he scored 15 league goals in 2016-17.
“Nikola has always been our preferred option, for his ability to both play as a main striker and to slot in alongside Edin Dzeko,” Petrachi said.
Manchester United have completed the signing of Harry Maguire from Leicester City in an £80 million ($97m) deal that sees the centre-back sign a six-year contract, with the option of a further year, at Old Trafford.
The long-running saga came to an end on Monday as the England international put pen to paper to become part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s rebuild at the Theatre of Dreams.
The move sees Maguire surpass Virgil van Dijk to become the most expensive defender of all time, with the Netherlands international having joined Liverpool for £75m in January 2018.
Fans have been calling for defensive reinforcements for some time at United, with many believing Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic to have been the last two truly reliable centre-halves at the club.
Solskjaer said upon the announcement of Maguire’s arrival: “Harry is one of the best centre-backs in the game today and I am delighted we have secured his signature
Former Arsenal defender, Thomas Vermaelen has joined Japanese club, Vissel Kobe from Barcelona.
The 33-year-old Belgian footballer joins former Barca stars Andres Iniesta, David Villa and Sergi Samper at the club, who are currently 15th in the 18-team J.League.
The defender who was unveiled on Saturday, July 27, 2019, said at his unveiling: ‘I think it is a very ambitious team, if you look at the signings that they have done in the past, with Andreas (Iniesta), David Villa, Sergi Samper, and Lukas Podolski.
‘I know them all very well and for me that is a big part also of why it will be easier to come in to the team.’
‘When the offer came I was very excited to come to this team.’
‘I played the last couple of years in Barcelona and I learnt a lot there,’ said Vermaelen.
‘I think that is what they ask of me, to bring the experience of what I had in Barcelona, to bring that over here, I think that is what the owner wants.’
‘I will also play out from the back, like I learnt in Barcelona and also play aggressive defensively so I will try and bring the complete package into this team.’
Vermaelen, who has 70 caps for Belgium played for Arsenal from 2009-2014, before joining Barcelona, where he only made 34 appearances for the Catalan side.