The 12-times capped Northern Ireland international was the subject of a failed £8m offer from Liverpool earlier this summer. Jurgen Klopp had identified Lewis as the man he wanted to provide competition to Andy Robertson.
However, Norwich were said to be holding out for nearer £20m and rejected Liverpool’s approach. The Reds have since brought in Kostas Tsimikas from Olympiacos.
Liverpool’s failure to agree a deal, however, has opened the door for Newcastle. They are in the markey for a new left-back after Danny Rose returned to Tottenham.
The Athletic is now reporting that Norwich have accepted a bid from Newcastle of £13.75million. That deal will rise ‘significantly’ depending on performance-related add-ons.
The report also claims Norwich will insert a sell-on clause into the contract.
It will be Newcastle’s first signing this summer, following the collapse of their Saudi Arabian-backed takeover.
Everton have completed the signing of Brazil midfielder Allan from Napoli on a three-year contract.
The 29-year-old moves to Goodison Park for an undisclosed fee, but Everton have paid €25m (£22.3m) plus an additional €3m (£2.7m) in incentives, according to Sky in Italy. The move sees Allan, who has been capped nine times by Brazil, reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Everton, having previously worked under the Italian for two seasons while he was in charge of Napoli. The draw of Ancelotti saw Everton beat off competition from Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund to capture Allan, who spent five years in Naples. “It is a real pleasure to sign for Everton. I am immensely happy to be here,” Allan told evertontv. “I hope, like I have done in my entire career, I contribute with my performances together with my teammates and that I put in some great games, great performances and win important things.
“It is a club with a rich history in the Premier League, has real ambition and then there is Professor Ancelotti. He has done everything possible to bring me here.
“It is the size of the club and the name of the coach which means you don’t think twice about coming to Everton.”
Allan started his career at Vasco da Gama in his home country before moving to Serie A with Udinese in 2012.
The 24-year-old spent last season on loan at the Emirates Stadium and after an inconsistent start to life in north London, the midfielder became an integral part of Mikel Arteta’s side during the second half of the campaign.
Ceballos formed an impressive partnership alongside Granit Xhaka in the middle of the park and played a key role in helping Arsenal win their 14th FA Cup with excellent performances against Sheffield United, Man City and Chelsea.
The Spanish international returned to Madrid this summer but with a regular start spot in Zinedine Zidane’s side looking unlikely, Ceballos decided another loan move away from the Bernabeu was the best decision.
He had other offers to remain in La Liga but Arteta convinced Ceballos to return to Arsenal and the midfielder reportedly flew-in to North London on Thursday to undergo his medical and put the finishing touches on his move.
The formalities were swiftly completed and Arsenal confirmed on their official website on Friday night that Ceballos has now completed his move to the Emirates and has rejoined the club on another season-long loan from Madrid
Chelsea have completed the signing of RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner.
The Germany international, 24, has agreed on a five-year deal with the club and becomes Chelsea’s second signing of the summer after winger Hakim Ziyech from Ajax.
The Premier League club agreed to pay €50m (£45m) to trigger the release clause of Werner, who will earn more than €10m (£9m) per season at Chelsea.
Speaking on his move to Chelsea, Werner said: ‘I am delighted to be signing for Chelsea, it is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club. I of course want to thank RB Leipzig, the club and the fans, for four fantastic years. You will forever be in my heart. I look forward to next season with my new team-mates, my new manager and of course the Chelsea fans. Together we have a very successful future ahead of us.’
Chelsea director, Marina Granovskaia added: ‘We are very excited that Timo Werner has chosen to join Chelsea. He is a player who was coveted all over Europe and it is no surprise, he has that rare mix of being young and exciting and yet established and proven. We can’t wait to have Timo on board, but until then we wish him and RB Leipzig all the best for the rest of this season.’
Timo Werner will see out the remainder of the Bundesliga season with RB Leipzig before joining up with his new team-mates in July.
He has so far made a total of 157 appearances for RB Leipzig, scoring 93 goals and making 40 assists for the German club.
Paris Saint-Germain and France striker, Kylian Mbappe has been rated as the most valuable player in the world.
According to CIES Football Observatory, the 21-year-old has the highest estimated transfer value of players across Europe’s big five leagues, and is worth an eye-watering £231million in today’s market despite the Coronavirus pandemic.
He is followed closely by four English stars – Raheem Sterling £173m, Jadon Sancho – £159m, Trent Alexander-Arnold £152m, and Marcus Rashford – £136m.
Lionel Messi and his arch-rival Cristiano Ronaldo failed to make the top 20. The Barcelona superstar valued at £89m, took 22nd place, while the Juventus playmaker was rated at £55m to take the 70th spot.
Cristiano Ronaldo has touched a significant milestone off the field as he becomes the first billion-dollar footballer, beating arch-rival Lionel Messi who remains second in the list of richest footballers.
However, Cristiano Ronaldo earned $105 million in the past year, landing him at No. 4 on the 2020 Forbes #Celeb100 list, one spot above Lionel Messi—and making him the first soccer player in history to earn $1 billion.
In his mid-thirties but Cristiano Ronaldo continues to set record both on and off the field. The Juventus and Portugal footballer has now beaten his arch-rival, Lionel Messi, in becoming the first billionaire footballer in the world.
Ronaldo finished at the No. 4 spot in 2020 Forbes Celebrity 100, with Barcelona captain Messi No. 5. Overall, Ronaldo is only the third athlete to touch the billion-dollar mark, with Tiger Woods being the first (having done so in 2009) and Floyd Mayweather the second (in 2017). The Portuguese footballer, in fact, is the first athlete to do so when it comes to a team sport.
Former Serbian footballer, Miljan Mrdakovic has died at the age of 38 after reportedly shooting himself in the head after struggling with depression and anxiety.
Local media report that the retired Partizan Belgrade, Anderlecht, and Gent striker took his own life in his rented Belgrade apartment over the weekend after saying “I can’t take this anymore”.
His heartbroken partner and singer, Ivana Stanic, told the media: ‘We had an ideal relationship, everything was great.
‘But he had problems, he liked to drink and I think that, in addition to the problems he had with depression, is the main reason why he did it.
‘After the end of his career, he struggled to cope because football meant everything to him.
‘He started working as an agent, but it is a job where sometimes you have work and earnings, sometimes you don’t. He was depressed and anxious.
‘The day before the suicide he drank a little too much and I felt like something bad could happen. I calmed him down, dragged him to bed and we talked all night.
‘When we woke up, he started drinking. I froze when I saw a gun next to him. I cried and asked him to put it away and I called his mother to talk to him.
‘I asked him to come with me and went to the bathroom to get dressed. Every now and then I looked at what he was doing and then suddenly I heard a shot. I ran away from the apartment and called the paramedics.’
Mrdakovic played for twenty clubs across 10 countries including Vitoria Guimaraes in Portugal and Maccabi Tel Aviv in Isreal. He also played nine matches with Serbia U21s and three times for Serbia at the 2008 Olympics.
Former club Maccabi Tel Aviv posted a statement, reading: “Maccabi Tel Aviv is saddened to learn of the passing of the club’s former Serbian striker, Miljan Mrdakovic, who died in tragic circumstances on Friday in his native Belgrade, aged 38.
“Mrdakovic played for Maccabi in the 2006-07 season under then-coach Eli Cohen, and as a 24-year-old he made an immediate impression when in the opening round of the season he scored a spectacular goal against Beitar Jerusalem as he beat three defenders in a solo run that began in his own half before unleashing a powerful shot from the edge of the area.
“That season was his only campaign with Maccabi Tel Aviv in which he scored eight goals and set up four others in 29 appearances. After leaving Maccabi he moved to Portugal.”
A Premier League footballer has been accused of ‘gang rape’ by a woman who claims her drink was spiked during a lockdown party.
This comes just days after Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, 19, was accused of rape in an unrelated alleged incident.
According to Daily Star, the alleged victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claimed her drinks were spiked with drugs. She also alleged that she was assaulted by the unknown footballer and a number of his friends in a rented flat.
The woman reportedly complained to police the day after the alleged gang rape and the detectives interviewed her, while forensic medical staff, as well as doctors, have examined her.
A friend of the woman said she had no recollection of the night’s events and was “acting strangely” and “out of character”
The friend said: “She could barely stand the night before, there is no way she was in any state to consent to sex.”
The alleged victim said when she woke up in the flat the next morning she was naked, with scratches on her legs. She also said the player was also naked in bed next to her.
According to the woman, when she asked him what had happened the player told her they had sex, and then left the room.
She also alleged that she received an anonymous call from someone the following day, who told her the player and his friends had spiked her drink before she then went to a police station and made the rape allegation.
Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, has waded into the debate surrounding the Nigerian Football Federation’s negotiations with Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr for an extension of his contract.
Rohr’s four year contract with the national team expires in June and he has been in negotiations with NFF on a new deal. Rohr has accepted new conditions such as living in Nigeria and being paid in Naira- placed in his contract, but has added his own moderations to the contract with the NFF yet to make a decision on his new deal.
The delay to Rohr’s contract renewal has increased speculation that the federation might not want the German tactician to continue as manager of the Super Eagles.
Sunday Dare has now come out to say what the national team needs a competent coah whether it is Rohr or not. He added that his desire is to see that the Super Eagles is in the best hands, given the quality of players in the national team.
“All I want is a coach that is competent, I don’t care whether it is Rohr or not. The name doesn’t matter, but does he have the credentials?” Dare said in a video made available to media.
“Look at our footballers, they play in some of the best clubs in the world and are coached by some of the best coaches.
“So if you want to coach a Nigerian team, you better be sound because the invited players that are going to represent the country train under the best coaches, therefore, we don’t want a player that is sounder than the coach.”
Rohr has been in charge of the Super Eagles since 2016 and led the side to the 2018 World Cup in Russia. He guided the three-time African champions to clinch their eighth bronze medal at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.